12.09.2008

Walking in the Zone

This morning's walk was a bit of a test of my cold weather gear, -25 with an 11km wind. Except for an Ipod malfunction before I even go out the door it was all good. I put a new set of tunes on last night but the software must have gotten trashed so nothing worked this morning but I was already layered up and ready to go when I made the discovery. A sweat was already forming so I grabbed my phone and used it instead. The only cold I felt was on the front of my legs during the last quarter mile or so as it was directly into the wind. The ski goggles definitely make the package work as my head was toasty all the way. The Ipod problems became a positive as I learned later in the day.

I was dreading the walk home as soon as the heavy snow started at about 3pm. I was not looking forward to trudging though powder. I got the Ipod restored in the morning but lost the tunes in the process. I have a bunch on my pc at work so I grabbed something I knew I would enjoy quickly as I didn't have time to be too picky. Led Zep IV or ZOSO. I hear lots of Led Zep these days as the 'classic' rock stations try to convince a younger crowd that they were the best. I've been listening to them since they were not allowed on radio, no need to sway my vote. Most of what I hear are single cuts. Listening to the entire album is a treat. The chords of the next song are already playing in my head before the last one ends, I know where every note of Jimmy's solos are going. I must have listened to that album more than 100 times but it has never sounded better than it did today.

The walk home itself was more fun than I thought walking could be and not only because of the tunes. Being enclosed in my orange tinted world was like walking through the storm but being detached from it. I couldn't feel the wind, couldn't hear it or the cars and it all just seemed to be floating by as I marched on. A train had traffic backed up on Memorial and I passed a dozen cars along Durban as they tried to fight their way onto the main street. I passed some of them again as they were held up at the lights at Isabel. Drivers hate it when I pass them on a bike, they must have been cursing my progress as they sat motionless. 
  
December miles
riding 47 miles
walking 27
12-10
Ethel:5 miles
Boots:3.5 miles
100 push-ups
100 sit-ups
12-09
Ethel:5 miles
Boots:3.5 miles
100 push-ups
100 sit-ups

No comments: