5.22.2010

Hope and Bike Lanes

Sal and I went to the Farmer's Market for breakfast and to pick up some fresh pasta for supper. The market was jammed with people today. It always gives me such a feeling of hope for Thunder Bay. People doing business with others from the community. Meeting folks you haven't seen in years. Strangers sharing the one of the few tables available to eat at.

The first negative in the CJ 'Thumbs Up/Thumbs Down' for the new bikes lanes appeared today, there will be more. Court Street to Fort William road is painted and the 'big' kickoff is next weekend. I still don't think it's going to be a big thing but I guess I'll show up to lend a hand. I rode down Walsh tonight where the lines are just laid out with small marks and it's going to be confusing to say the least. Where the hydro towers are located the lane tapers to non-existence. There are sections that move riders into the middle of the road to allow parking and there's no separation, can you say 'doored'? The painted section on Fort William Road that I saw was not wide enough for a set of wide handle bars, even the bike outline painted to indicate the lane was too wide for the lane. Don't get me wrong I think they are a good thing but the execution is lacking. Not sure what happened to the education part of the launch. The bikers that show up will have info available but I can't see the driver who wrote his comments to the paper or any others coming out to get educated at the Bay Street party. News feature on the lanes.

Week 3/6
scrambled eggs, toast, bacon, potatoes, 2 coffee, lemon loaf, past salad, crackers, fresh pasta and diet 7up

No comments: